Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Have celiac disease. Rashes spreading onlegs and feet. Took blood test for gluten, count 171. Help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 695 Questions
I have just been told I have celiac disease. I have had a rash for years that the doctor told me was old age. I am 60 years old. Now that it is all over my arms and spreading to my legs and feet a different doctor took blood test for gluten. My count is 171. I have gone off all gluten but the rash seems to continue to spread. I need help! What can I do.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 34 minutes later
Hello, Thanks for writing to health care magic.

A number of skin disorders are associated with celiac disease.

Based on your description I can consider following two possibilities

1.Dermatitis herpitiformis,
It is most common skin disease associated with celiac disease. It is characterized by intensely itchy blistering rash. It is associated with gluten sensitivity.

2.Atopic eczema;
It is related to old age and celiac disease both.

Since you are having rash since many years a biopsy will be helpful for making exact diagnosis. You can consult your dermatologist for this.

For relief you need to take oral antihistaminics like hydroxizine .

You can apply steroid antibiotic combination like fucidic acid and betamethasone over affected areas. This is available on counters .

Continue with gluten free diet.

Avoid harsh soaps. Use lukewarm water for bathing. Use loose cotton clothes.

A definite diagnosis can be made by biopsy only and it is my sincere advice to you to consult a nearest dermatologist for it.

I hope this can solve your query. In case of any concerns, I will be happy to help you. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor