Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Have cavity problem in wisdom teeth. Having pain. What can be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 176 Questions
Hi, I have cavity problem in both wisdom teeth. I am having this problem from the last 4 months. last week i checked in Apollo hospital. Doctor gave 2 suggestions to me. root canal either extraction the teeth. But, I am not having that much pain. I am geeting pain only when i bite something. I dont want to extract my teeth. If i fill or do root canal, will these give any more problems in future. or should i extract. Can you pls help me to decide.
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 29 minutes later
Thanks for your query.

Ideally a wisdom tooth is vestigial and serves no purpose, therefore in many cases extraction is an ideal solution.
If the tooth has enough tooth structure and can be saved then you may get it root canal treated. After the treatment you'll need to put a cap on it to preserve it.

If a rootcanal is done properly and the infection is removed then you will not have any problems in the future, making it a good option.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor