Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Have carpel tunnel syndrome, occasional mild numbness in arm and leg. Any treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10359 Questions
I have occasional mild numbness in my right arm and leg; but it only occurs when I sit for a time and then get up and start walking. Normally lasts less than one minute. I also have carpel tunnel syndrome.
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
There are many causes of occasional numbness in right arm and leg. These include injury to the back or spinal cord, Lack of blood supply as a result of plaque formation in the blood vessels, diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause such numbness.

Firstly, I’ll request you to get your thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vitamin B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have carpel tunnel syndrome, occasional mild numbness in arm and leg. Any treatment? 44 hours later
hello Dr. XXXXXXX

I have taken B12 supplements for years and I take 100 micrograms of Synthroid per day; for about 10 years now.

I had my B12 and my TSH tested on 04/02/2013.
The B12 was listed as >1700 pg/mL; the TSH result was 2.36 uIU/mL.

Also, low level walking exercise seems to improve the symptoms.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Since your vitamin B 12 and TSH levels are normal, the numbness seems to be due to a decreased blood supply to the spinal cord or diabetes.
Regular exercise will help in improvement of your symptoms. You can also consult a neurologist for the same.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor