Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Have carcinoma in spine. Not cured by hydrocodon. Suggest effective medicine

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10401 Questions
i have carcinoma in my spine -i have tried a few pain killers but no good--i am on hydrocodon now,for 2 years but i am hurting a lot again. can you sugest one that dosen't make me sleepy?

Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
In case of carcinoma, the pain is often severe. Since you are taking hydrocodone for 2 years, a milder pain killer like NSAID is not likely to help you. The opioid pain killers tend to make you sleepy.
You can try Tapendol or Naproxen or Ketorolac after consulting your pain specialist.
Few other options of treatment which may be useful in reducing pain and maintaining functional lifestyle are 'Transcutaneous Electric Nerve stimulation (TENS) units', relaxation techniques, occupational and physical therapy approaches.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor