Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Have burning sore on penis. Should I be worried about STD?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14625 Questions
Hi, I have a sore just under the head of my penis. At first I though it was from a girl giving me oral and scraped my penis with her teeth. I went to the doctor, he said it was nothing to worry about. But now, it's like a little yellow scab there. It also burns when I first start to be pee but it goes away fast. Is this herpes or another STI? Best Regards, Worried
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: likely related to the trauma Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic The scab would have formed over the initial sore and is a normal part of the healing process. It is possible that the sore could have resulted from the oral intercourse. Herpes would normally present with initial redness and discomfort in a part of the genitalia. This would be followed by small vesicles which are basically small water bumps. These bumps would also be painful and would then turn into small superficial painful ulcers. If the lesion was in keeping with these stages then it is possible that it was related to herpes. In terms of the other sti, HIV does not usually present with any symptoms in anyone, but if symptoms do occur they may consist of fever, muscle aches and pains, abdominal pains, headache. These symptoms would then resolve. Chlamydia, gonorrhoea and trichomoniasis would cause a penile discharge (yellow green) along with painful urination. In some men with chlamydia and gonorrhoea there are no symptoms. Hepatitis b is also considered sexually transmitted but would not cause this problem and syphilis would cause an ulcer. The lesion that you have described is not in keeping with HIV, hepatitis b, chlamydia, gonorrhoea, syphilis, trichomoniais. IF it had the water bump appearance then ulcers then it is possibly herpes. The only way to determine this would be blood tests for herpes. If it did not have the herpetic appearance then it is likely related to trauma to the penis and will heal on its own. The discomfort on urination will resolve when it is completely healed. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have burning sore on penis. Should I be worried about STD? 5 minutes later
Yes, this does help a lot, i still think i should get a STI test to be sure. I also looked at pictures of herpes and it doesnt look like what i have. Is it ok if I attached a picture of the 'problem'
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: STI testing would be a good idea Detailed Answer: HI I agree, if you remain unsure then a STI test should be done, this would be only way to get a conclusive answer. Yes feel free to attach a picture
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have burning sore on penis. Should I be worried about STD? 3 minutes later
The Doctor i was speaking with said i should use Canesten Topical Cream apply 3 times daily
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: would only help if fungi are involved Detailed Answer: HI Canesten is an antifungal cream and would be helpful if it is a fungal rash. Fungi of the genital area would normally present with a red, may be mildly itchy rash. The appearance may vary according to the area involved. ON the foreskin and glans, there would be a discharge and red painful rash. On the other aspect of the genitals there may be a red, mildly itchy , scaly rash. It may have a circular appearance. IF it has a fungal appearance as described above then the canesten would help but it would not help in any lesions that are not related to fungi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have burning sore on penis. Should I be worried about STD? 14 minutes later
Please tell me if you see these pictures.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: can be seen Detailed Answer: HI In the first image, 2 separate lesions can be seen. They have the appearance of small superficial sores or ulcers. They do not appear typically fungal but I definitely believe because there are multiple and have a slight ulcerated appearance that herpes should be ruled out. ON mucosal areas areas of the body such as the areas seen in the images (other areas would be inside the mouth or on the lips, certain parts of the eye lids), when lesions are healing they can develop a yellow crust as part of healing. This means that if the herpes test is negative then this yellow crusting would indicate healing of a traumatic wound from the oral intercourse. Please feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have burning sore on penis. Should I be worried about STD? 3 minutes later
Thanks, so what should i do?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: testing then topical cream if herpes negative Detailed Answer: Hi You should do the STI testing, if the result is positive initiate appropriate treatment for herpes. If the result in negative then apply a anti bacterial cream because it is likely due to trauma and this would prevent any secondary infection. Antibacterial creams are usually available over the counter and include neosporin, polysporin, fucidin. If it persists then your doctor can take a swab (this is only if the herpes is negative and there is no response after a week of applying topical antibiotic). You can ask any other questions if anything remains unclear
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor