Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Have burning sensation while urinating. How to detect infection at the site of an injection?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
Dear Doctor,
I have two questions: 1) how do I know whether I have a bacterial infection around the area where I got an injection? I am unsure whether to take the antibiotic prescription for sulfameth/trimethoprim after reading all the side effects it causes. The neurologist here in XXXXXXX prescribed it to me because she is worried about the possibilities of a bacterial infection at the site at which I was given a phenergan injection (upper right side, above my right buttock) while travelling in Puerto Rico. The neurologist diagnosed meralgia paraesthetica and the area is in some places numb, in others painful (nine days after the injection). While travelling in Puerto Rico I started feeling ill and on the 1st of January went to emergency with severe diarrhoea and vomiting - I could not take the nausea relief as it would not stay in. I made the mistake of following wrong advice and taking ciprofloxacin before meals. I was taking cipro because I had a urine sample culture is negative but I still have a burning sensation when I urinate. Hence, question 2 is: if it still burns when I urinate, is it possible the UTI is not fully over?

Thank you so much. Please note my email address is below.

Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for the query.
The development of an abscess or infection at the site of an intramuscular injection can occur because of either infected needle or poor site preparation.Signs and symptoms of infection at the site may include redness, pain, heat, swelling and possibly drainage

As far as urine infection is concerned a negative urine culture does not necessarily rule out a urine infection.
Since you are having burning in urination,you should complete your course of antibiotics and other medications.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have burning sensation while urinating. How to detect infection at the site of an injection? 12 hours later
Thank you. I have started taking sulfameth/trimethoprim to tackle the pain, tingling, and numbness in the area below the phenergan injection site given to me on the 1st of January (diagnosis: meralgia paraesthetica with possible bacterial infection). HOw long should it take me to recover? This would help me know if I need to switch to an alternative strategy soon as I have a long-distance flight to Europe next Wednesday. Will I stop having pain and recover sensation eventually?

Best regards

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 47 minutes later
If your pain is because of bacterial infection,then it may go away in next 5 to 7 days.
However if the cause is MP,it is not going to have any effect on you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have burning sensation while urinating. How to detect infection at the site of an injection? 6 hours later

Is Sulfameth/Trimethoprim safe to use? I had some redness on my back this morning (took the tablet last night at 9 pm) and have read many negative reports about this antibiotic. Are there less XXXXXXX alternatives? Should I discontinue its use? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
It is generally a safe medicine to use.
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with (sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim) combination.However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your doctor.
  The most common Septra side effects include:
Loss of appetite
Nausea, with or without vomiting
Allergic skin reactions (such as a rash or itching).

If your rash or itching increases,you may discontinue this medicine and talk to your doctor for prescribing an alternate medicine.It would be better if this is brought to the knowledge of your treating doctor and any change in medicine should come from him.
 if no problem,you may continue the medicine.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor