Have burning sensation while urinating. How to detect infection at the site of an injection?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: Dear Doctor,
I have two questions: 1) how do I know whether I have a bacterial infection around the area where I got an injection? I am unsure whether to take the antibiotic prescription for sulfameth/trimethoprim after reading all the side effects it causes. The neurologist here in XXXXXXX prescribed it to me because she is worried about the possibilities of a bacterial infection at the site at which I was given a phenergan injection (upper right side, above my right buttock) while travelling in Puerto Rico. The neurologist diagnosed meralgia paraesthetica and the area is in some places numb, in others painful (nine days after the injection). While travelling in Puerto Rico I started feeling ill and on the 1st of January went to emergency with severe diarrhoea and vomiting - I could not take the nausea relief as it would not stay in. I made the mistake of following wrong advice and taking ciprofloxacin before meals. I was taking cipro because I had a urine sample culture is negative but I still have a burning sensation when I urinate. Hence, question 2 is: if it still burns when I urinate, is it possible the UTI is not fully over?

Thank you so much. Please note my email address is below.

XXXXXXX
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
The development of an abscess or infection at the site of an intramuscular injection can occur because of either infected needle or poor site preparation.Signs and symptoms of infection at the site may include redness, pain, heat, swelling and possibly drainage

As far as urine infection is concerned a negative urine culture does not necessarily rule out a urine infection.
Since you are having burning in urination,you should complete your course of antibiotics and other medications.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 12 hours later
Thank you. I have started taking sulfameth/trimethoprim to tackle the pain, tingling, and numbness in the area below the phenergan injection site given to me on the 1st of January (diagnosis: meralgia paraesthetica with possible bacterial infection). HOw long should it take me to recover? This would help me know if I need to switch to an alternative strategy soon as I have a long-distance flight to Europe next Wednesday. Will I stop having pain and recover sensation eventually?

Best regards

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 47 minutes later
If your pain is because of bacterial infection,then it may go away in next 5 to 7 days.
However if the cause is MP,it is not going to have any effect on you.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Is Sulfameth/Trimethoprim safe to use? I had some redness on my back this morning (took the tablet last night at 9 pm) and have read many negative reports about this antibiotic. Are there less XXXXXXX alternatives? Should I discontinue its use? Thank you

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
It is generally a safe medicine to use.
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with (sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim) combination.However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your doctor.
  The most common Septra side effects include:
Loss of appetite
Nausea, with or without vomiting
Allergic skin reactions (such as a rash or itching).

If your rash or itching increases,you may discontinue this medicine and talk to your doctor for prescribing an alternate medicine.It would be better if this is brought to the knowledge of your treating doctor and any change in medicine should come from him.
 if no problem,you may continue the medicine.
Thanks