Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Have bumps on scalp. Painful, itchy and burn. Given clyndomycin, clobetasol and minocycline but no help. Prescribed hydroxyzine

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10441 Questions
I am 47yo female. I have had what I refer to as my stress bumps on my scalp for some time now. I would get one sporadically here and there. They are like pimples, they are painful, itch and now that they are covering the entire crown of my head, they burn. I have been to the doctors 3 times. first they said yes, stress bumps claritin in the day and bendryl at night, 2nd time, they gave me clyndomycin gel, clobetasol phooionate topical solution and minocycline 50mg for 14 days. it did seem to help but after 3 weeks I am now worse then every, they persribe me hydroxyzine XXXXXXX 25mg tablet and it will give me brief relief to sleep however, I serviously feel like I am about to loose it over this, and on top of it, I have a yeast infection, which the dermatologist would not treat for and told meto call my primary, although I asked for diflucan when they perscribed me the antibotics. They tell it is foliculitus, but I think it is more of a yeast infection. I can not take much more of this. THank you for your help
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can get a swab culture done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
It seems that you are having a severe scalp infection which has responded little to the antibiotics that you have taken. This needs a comprehensive treatment with both oral and topical antibiotics after a swab culture to find out the drug best suitable for you. The swab culture will also help in detecting a fungal infection if there is any.
There is a prescription called Accutane which is used in patients who are refractory to topical and antibiotic regimens. You can consider getting it prescribed from your dermatologist.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor