Have bump under skin and feels like bruise. How to treat this?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: have a bump under skin...almost feels like a bruise but it is not....and a red line running up my left arm
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting on HCM
This sounds to me like a developing abscess or cellulitis. This due to staph/strep infection as a result of a small bridge on your skin (it must not be obvious to you) You will need a doctor to take a closer look to find out its extend and also decide on what to place you on. If the bump is not too big and not too painful, it will evolve on its own with you needing to treat it. But if it is very swollen and painful you will need a course of antibiotics such cloxacillin or azithromycin associated to an antiinflammatory. With this you can expect complete resolution or development into an abscess (pus collection) which will require subsequent incision and drainage by a surgeon/doctor.

If you have any more questions, please free to write by for clarifications.
Wish you the best and a quick recover

Dr Nsah