Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Have bump on penis and passing milky discharge.What is causing this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions
I have a medium size bump above my penis in pubick region and there is a milky liquid coming out I think it mite be a boule not sure tho
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

You could also attach a picture of this if you wish to do so, to our discussion. For the meantime, without examining it, it is impossible to reach an approximate diagnosis. But, let me list all the possibilities for you.
-Ingrown hair (this is a small boil and reddish skin around it, when the hair follicle is trying to grow hair back, after it has been shaved or removed; will resolve on its own)
-Folliculitis (infection of the hair follicle; if it does not resolve on its own, might require antibiotic therapy)
-Acne (inflamed or infected sebaceous glands; treatment with antibiotics)
-Cyst (a closed sac; might require drainage)
-Genital warts (due to a sexually transmitted disease; will require treatment depending on the infection causing organism)

Are you sexually active? Do you have one constant partner or more? When was your last sexual contact. Have you experienced similar bumps in the region before? Do you experience pain in the region?

In my opinion, once you describe the bump in more detail and answer my above mentioned questions, we could narrow the search down. Or if possible, you could visit a doctor for an examination and accordingly treatment.

I hope this helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be happy to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have bump on penis and passing milky discharge.What is causing this? 8 minutes later
I have one partner only for the last nine years and never been with anyone else also how do I send pic to u
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 minutes later
Hello once again.

In that case the chances of a sexually transmitted disease are slim to none. This could most probably be an ingrown hair, acne or folliculitis as mentioned above.

Have you noticed any hair growing from this particular bump?

If you cannot attach the picture to this discussion, you could email it to me at:
' YYYY@YYYY ' and mention "ATTN:Dr. Shoaib Khan" in the subject line. I will receive the picture through email.

Looking forward to further assisting you.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have bump on penis and passing milky discharge.What is causing this? 18 minutes later
Also hurts when I push on it and pus comes out of it
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 26 minutes later
Hello once again. I apologize for the delay, the customer care team was a little busy, and took some time to send the picture over to me.

I have seen the bump, and in my opinion this is most possibly folliculitis or an ingrown hair. But, due to the presentation of pain on application of pressure on it and pus oozing out once it has been burst, the likelihood shifts over to folliculitis.

Folliculitis is the infection of a hair follicle, which takes place in regions like the pubis area, back, chest, inner thighs, etc; which are areas which are moist more often and regions where friction takes place (from clothing).

Mild forms of folliculitis do not require treatment, and resolve on their own. Whereas more resistant or more general (more than one hair follicle being affected) forms will require antibiotic therapy. As you are experiencing just one, and this does not seem to cause much trouble, I would advise the following:
-Do not touch it or try to burst it as this can lead to a re-infection
-Wear comfortable and loose clothing (preferably cotton)
-Keep the area dry and clean (concentrate more on hygiene till this disappears)
-Take a warm or lukewarm water shower at least twice a day for at least 15 minutes, you could also dip yourself in a tub of warm or lukewarm water if you have the facility
-A warm compress (with a clean warm cloth for a few minutes 2-3 times a day) will also help

This will subside on its own. If it does not, you could write back to me in 3-5 days, and I shall guide you from there on.

The bump might also ooze pus or even slight amount of blood once it starts naturally draining. Do not worry about this.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be happy to help.

Wishing you a healthy life hereafter.
Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor