Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Have bump on leg. Now turned to small pimple. How to cure this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
I have a bump on the back of leg. At first it looked like a mole. Then it turned into what looked like a small pimple or blackhead. Now it's the size of a quarter, hard, red & it looks like a hole is in the middle.
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

It is extremely hard to give exact answer not seeing it, so if you could attach a photo of it so I can be more precise.
If it looked like a mole, most likely it is a mole. Some moles do cause an inflammation and can change the shape, color and get protruded. If so, it is necessary to remove it and send to histopathology to make sure there is no melanoma in it.
Other possible reason of such lump is hair follicle inflammation, sebaceus cyst or other benign skin lesion. If there is a pus inside, needle puncture or small incision should be made to drain the pus.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have bump on leg. Now turned to small pimple. How to cure this? 16 minutes later
I uploaded a picture. Is it clear enough? I am a little concerned because it hurts. I was wondering if I can withstand pain, would it be detrimental for me to wait a few more weeks until a dermatologist is able to see me or should I go to the ER to have it drained?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 hours later
It does not look urgent. But few weeks it might be too long to wait with it. The pain indicates some infection. Most likely due to puss accumulation. The picture is not clear enough, but it looks like there is a redness around this lesion. In such case, antibiotics might be necessary to cure this condition.
So ER visit is not necessary, but your regular doctor should be visited in a few days.

Hope this will help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor