Have bruise, back pain and headache. Is this a sign of G6PD deficiency?

Dr. Madhuri Patil

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Genetics
Question: Is having a bruise sign of G6PD deficiency among adults? my wife is 29, both of our son have G6PD so I think she has as G6PD as well.
I thought it was now, a 24 hour turn around time is I think too much! Anyway, I will wait for your answers.
She is having bruises now and the severe back pains again with severe head ache. I wonder how this will be cures. I don't want a palliative cure. There must be a way for a total cure on this. Thanks to you all!
I had a time to talk to her now and she gave me more information on how she feels: heavy feeling, as if a heavy thing is on her shoulder, her upper torso/breast portion (not her mammary glands) are aching and her back really hurts as well..Sometimes her arms and legs are getting numb sometimes and having bruises. I hope these information helps.
She also told me that because of her lower back pain, sometimes she can not stand.
And her back feels warm at XXXXXXX even if the AC is on.
And her ears are getting hot as well, as if there is somebody pinching it.
Severe pain is usually felt from lunch till early afternoon then is will be tolerable until it will be severe again from midnight till XXXXXXX
Generally the whole body is painful. radiating from the back.
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 12 hours later
Hi there.

There is possibility of your wife having milder form of G6PD deficiency. This form is mostly asymptomatic and symptoms are trigerred by various stressors. Then you might see symptoms of hemolysis (breaking down of red blood cells). Having bruises is not a common symptom at all, nor the bone pains. If you feel her temperature is high and she has bruises and bone pain- the chest and spine bones pain, then likely that she has fever of different origin (e.g Dengue hemorrhagic fever, if it is common in your region). Please check with a physician for these symtpoms as her actual clinical evaluation will help the doctor take decisions if the fever needs anti-biotic treatment or now.
She's allergic to Tramadol and as you know she should be given other pain-killers also with great care in case she's having the milder form of G6PD deficiency.
In short, having bruises is not common in adults with G6PD deficiency. And the symptoms your wife is presenting with, can be of a fever which needs personal attention by a good physician. I hope you understand and take her to the doctor. Thank you and get back to me for any related query.
Follow up: Dr. Madhuri Patil 7 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX

My wife has no fever at all. just a burning feeling inside her body. So I think we can rule out dengue or malaria. You said having bruises is not a common symptoms at all, so do you think she might be a case of an uncommon G6PD deficient adult?
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 3 hours later
Yes, XXXXXXX
As both your children have got the deficiency which is X linked disorder, certainly your wife is either a carrier or she herself might be deficient with very milder form which does not show up unless a stressor triggers the symptoms.
The current symptoms might not match with the classical symptoms of G6PD deficiency but she needs attention of a good physician to see what is wrong with her- one for the bruises and two for the severe back and bones pain.
I hope you got your answer. Please get back if you have something more to be clarified. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Madhuri Patil 4 minutes later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for your time in answering my questions. I have this last question. What do you think is the cause if her bruising and severe back pain? given all th efacts that we have provided you?

With best regards,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 11 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Based on the information you have provided one can theoritically guess reasons like that of hemorrhagic conditions leading to platelet inactivity or sepsis without fever or pancytopenia (all kind of blood cells being low) due to autoimmune reason, some kind of vasculo-neuritis where the blood vessels are leaking and causing bruises and the nerves are irritated causing severe pain.

I hope she's started taking treatment from a physician by now as keeping her with those bruises at home without proper diagnosis is not right.