Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

Have brown spots around ankles with slight burning sensation. How to cure this?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9350 Questions
Have brown spots around ankles and around XXXXXXX area and slight burning around one of the ankles stand for long periods of time doing Security work sometime 7-8 hours of standing per shift 6 days a week and noone else in the family has anything like this or our family history.
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
I have seen your photo, and considering you job and age this condition is most probably caused by circulatory insufficiency, venous of course and is called hypostatic dermatitis.
Venous stasis causes pooling red blood cells to stain the skin of the ankles from the inside out, brown patches on the ankles.
Venous stasis can occur due to injury, surgery or poor circulation. It is characteristic for people who stand a lot, overweight ones and those who have inadequate footwear. You can treat the cause and those skin changes. First thing is done by manual massage therapy, compression stockings, frequent periods of rest elevating the legs above the heart(ypu should do it at work.). You simply need to stand less,this is the best treatment for it. Also vascular surgeon can perform procedure which is routine and it has very good results. Skin changes are treated by dermatologists with skin lubrications, creams and coatings.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor