Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Have broken a rib and having severe pain with muscle spasms. Normal?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10460 Questions
Broke a rib I have severe pain with mucle spasms is this normal how long will it last
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The severe pain may take a week to subside.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The acute pain and muscle spasms after a rib fracture usually subside in a week to 10 days. To have symptomatic relief earlier, have adequate rest, use a chest belt when not in bed, take some pain killers after the meals and get a combination of muscle relaxants prescribed from your orthopedician.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have broken a rib and having severe pain with muscle spasms. Normal? 16 hours later
Hurts when I move raise my arm or walk sit down that's when I get the spasms the most I did ask my doc for muscle relaxers have not heard back I go to Vegas in 3 day and do not want to be in this much pain were I can't enjoy the time with my husband
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take OTC muscle relaxants.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
You can use over the counter available muscle relaxants like Baclofen, Celebrex, Lioresal, Robaxin, Skelaxin, Tramaden, Tegretol or Toradol. Ask your nearest pharmacist about availability of any one of these. Take it after meals twice a day. These will help with your spasms.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor