Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Have breathing problem. Prescribed montec L.C and ambroxol hydrocholoride. Any ideas?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Allergist and Immunologist
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 584 Questions
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX I am 58 years old male. I have a problem of breathing after doing minimal exercise.This has devloped for past 1 years or so and has incrised .I have gone through pft test but nothing sevear has been found.Doctor has precribed me Montec L.C. tablet and syrup of ambroxol hydrocholoride.I am suffering from this
problem a bit more for last two days.
Posted Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 41 minutes later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

Your symptoms are suggestive of exercise-induced asthma and hopefully the pulmonary function test that you had also looked into post-bronchodilator response of the lung volumes.

The Montek-LC that you have been prescribed contains montelukast and levocetirizine and the montelukast is the important drug for exercise-induced asthma.

However, you will need allergy testing (either skin prick tests or specific IgE tests) to find out whether your asthma is allergic asthma or intrinsic (non-allergic) asthma.

I would not recommend continuing on the ambroxol syrup long-term.

If the lung function test (with reversibility studies) shows significant improvement post-inhalers, the asthma needs to be controlled as per XXXXXXX guidelines.

I will be happy to answer any more questions that you may have.

Best Wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor