Have breathing problem. Prescribed montec L.C and ambroxol hydrocholoride. Any ideas?

Dr. Sujoy Khan

Allergist and Immunologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Dear Dr. XXXXXXX I am 58 years old male. I have a problem of breathing after doing minimal exercise.This has devloped for past 1 years or so and has incrised .I have gone through pft test but nothing sevear has been found.Doctor has precribed me Montec L.C. tablet and syrup of ambroxol hydrocholoride.I am suffering from this
problem a bit more for last two days.
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 41 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

Your symptoms are suggestive of exercise-induced asthma and hopefully the pulmonary function test that you had also looked into post-bronchodilator response of the lung volumes.

The Montek-LC that you have been prescribed contains montelukast and levocetirizine and the montelukast is the important drug for exercise-induced asthma.

However, you will need allergy testing (either skin prick tests or specific IgE tests) to find out whether your asthma is allergic asthma or intrinsic (non-allergic) asthma.

I would not recommend continuing on the ambroxol syrup long-term.

If the lung function test (with reversibility studies) shows significant improvement post-inhalers, the asthma needs to be controlled as per XXXXXXX guidelines.

I will be happy to answer any more questions that you may have.

Best Wishes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E