Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Have braces and noticed change in direction in front teeth. Is this possible?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 183 Questions
Hi, I currently have braces, and I recently went to the orthodontist for a checkup, but I'm noticing that my front teeth are no longer the right length, but I was told they are trying to XXXXXXX bring that tooth down XXXXXXX is that possible? Or just trying to get more money?
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for your question,

Yes, this is possible. Every tooth can move in any direction that the orthodontist wants within specific physical limitations and through a slow process.

Teeth can be brought down and when this is down it is called extruding the tooth. This is a slow process and needs to be slow because there is a very small hole at the end of your tooth (the apex) where the nerve and blood supply run into the tooth. If the tooth is extruded or erupted too fast, that blood supply could be damaged and the tooth could die.

I don't believe that your orthodontist is doing unethical things to "get more money" out of you. I think they are evaluating your progress and changing which direction your teeth go, based on how they have moved since your last follow up visit.

The average time frame for braces is 24 months. This is the average. Depending on the extent of malpositioning you have, how much longer or how much less time you have to go with wearing your braces would be decided. Rest assured they are doing what they see is best for you and are trying to give you the best functional and aesthetic outcome.

I hope this answers your question to your satisfaction. If you have any further questions feel free to ask, I am here for you.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Ward
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor