Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Have bone cancer. Prosthesis failed mechanically during minor surgery. Any advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 561 Questions
My nephew ( 6 yrs old ) was detected with Bone Cancer (osteosarcoma,chondroblastic) in March 2009
After his surgery in Aug 2009 , infected area(lower end Femur including growth plate ,right leg) has been removed and replaced with Prosthesis(expandable implant, ISIQU ).During the follow up minor surgery in 2011 the implant failed mechanically ( could not be expanded).My nephew is 8 yrs old and there 's a significant difference in his legs now.We are looking for different options available for prosthesis and a reference for a surgeon who has performed such surgeries in India. We have already been to Tata Memorial Hospital and Hinduja hospital (Mumbai). Please guide.

Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
You have taken treatment in best of institute in central India. Hinduja hospital has best team of orthopaedicians in India. Mechanical failure of prosthesis is a very unfortunate event. Usually after excision of tumor there is some loss of limb length. The main purpose of operation and prosthesis is to save to limb and avoid the mental trauma to patient.
You should consult with same surgeon and consult regarding another prosthesis if possible. Because going to another hospital will increase the cost of treatment and make him undergo an unnecessary procedure again.
Still, if you want to consult another hospital, there are few hospital in Pune and Mumbai dealing in prosthesis.
Do let me know if you want to know of other hospitals. We can then have a discussion on that.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have bone cancer. Prosthesis failed mechanically during minor surgery. Any advice? 2 hours later
Thank you sir for the prompt reply.I agree with you , but we really want to have a second opinion. If you can point us to someone who has performed such types of surgeries on kids , that would be really great. Waiting for your reply. Thanks and Regards - XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 10 hours later
Welcome back XXXXXXX,
I will suggest a good place for second opinion; do not worry.

There are two hospitals in Pune dealing in orthopedic problems and prosthesis, Sancheti hospital and Hardikar hospital.

I will suggest Sancheti hospital will be better option as they have developed their own prosthesis and treated the patient.

In Mumbai, I will not suggest anything else than Hinduja, to avoid unnecessary expenditure.

Hope you have your answer.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor