Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Have boil on bridge of nose and swelling around eye. How to treat this?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 507 Questions
I have a boil on the bridge of my nose very close to my eye which has just burst. There is swelling around my eye now. I am concerned that the burst boil may become infected. What is the best treatment to prevent infection and also reduce the swelling around my eye. I regularly wear contact lenses. Will Chlorsig ointment help prevent the burst boil becoming infected? Thank you
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Omer 51 minutes later

Thanks a lot for your input.

I am really sorry to hear about your problem. As you have told you have a boil on your nasal bridge is a normal and curable thing with antibiotics perhaps topical antibiotics. But, as you have told that there is eye swelling, this is serious then.

Whenever there is a pustular boil in the nasal area it is always an emergency to treat it because the vessels of nose area and surrounding area is in contact with your brain vessels, especially the eye vessels. Meaning your nose infection when deep can spread behind the eye known as cavernous sinus in your brain. You may need to go to ER for drainage of deep seated pus and broad spectrum antibiotics to decrease the infection behind and around your eye.

Dacryocystitis is another probable diagnosis meaning, the gland in between your eye and nose gets infected, but is categorized low in your case.

You need to stop wearing contact lenses till infection subsides.

I wish you good luck that you get well soon. If you have any question, please ask because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied. You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor