Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Have body pains, advised Vitamin D and sugar test and given vitamin D medicine. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 762 Questions
i am a 35 yr old man from Delhi. i have body pains for many years now. since i don't go exercises much and have a seating job , i am generallly told i am experiencing this.i went to see a doctor who advised me to go for a VIT D test and also blood sugar test. i took those tests. VIT D was 30.41 mnol/L and my sugar PP was 98 mg/dL. i am advised to take vitamin D tablets weekly for 2 months. pls suggest as to what should i be doing to get the levels back to normal. also i am worried whether the sugar levels is early diabetic level or not . what should i be doing to control it . my dad is diabetic but that too was discovered when he was 55 yrs of age. pls advise
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
hypovitaminosis D, blood glucose normal.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX , Hi! It is nice to hear from you, though I really feel sorry for all your pains. I will be answering your problems a bit randomly and not in the order that you have asked because that will make some sense to you.
I have gone through the attached reports.
1. Your PP 98 mg/dl is absolutely normal. It is not in the diabetic range or even prediabetic range. At the same time, as you have family history of diabetes, you must check your fasting values as well. Monitor annually both Fasting blood glucose and Post prandial blood glucose.
2. Your Vitamin D levels are low and for this, you have already started the treatment. The course is one tab/cap of 60,000IU once a week bedtime, for 12 weeks, and then recheck your vitamin D levels. Then you can maintain with once a month tablet.
3. Bone pains cannot be attributed to low vitamin D alone. You must check your thyroid profile as well. You must take calcium supplements along with vitamin D else you may develop hypocalcemia.
4. B12, folic acid, B3, B6 supplements are also recommended for your generalized myalgia.
5. Last point, which is of utmost importance, if you have no physical limitation, then get up and start moving. Yes, at 35 years, if you are not exercising, you are not active, then it is not something good, not really something for which you need doctors, you need to motivate yourself, and develop healthy lifestyle.
Thanks, and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have body pains, advised Vitamin D and sugar test and given vitamin D medicine. Suggest? 45 minutes later
dear doctor , thanks for such a elaborate answer , shows you indeed care.
one big error in my update to you was the sugar level which was 98 mg/dl was FASTING and not PP. regret the error. Pls advise .
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Require to be alert.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX fasting 98mg/dl is a bit high, though not still in the prediabetes range, so you have to take care. by taking care I mean, start diet regulation, regular exercise, watch your weight, monitor fasting and Post prandial every month. you should also undertake Glucose tolerance test, and HbA1c. Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have body pains, advised Vitamin D and sugar test and given vitamin D medicine. Suggest? 49 minutes later
thanks a lot, will do as being suggested by you and revert after 3 months
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
time to act.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX I will really appreciate if you start following as doctors advise. Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor