Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Have blood filled bumps at the base of penis and scrotum. Could it be genital warts or hpv?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 1677 Questions
hi, im very scared and nervous of that i may have multiple stds. first symptom in small egg shaped, or oval, bumps, with an indentation, when pressed a hard white substance pops out. these bumps are located at base of penis and one lone bump under the head of it. second symptom is rather large mysterious red bumps. ive had 4 of these bumps appear, heal and go away. there seemed to be a head on the bumps, but when pressed the whole bump fills with blood. one was on the inside of my right thigh, and exactly where that one was touching my scrotum there was another. those have gone away. know there is one on my lower back. no pain or itching with either of these bumps. last but not least the info i have found resembles genital warts or hpv. these bumps are all around the base of the head of penis. is there any insight of hope to treat any of these bumps succesfully? any advice on what type of doctor i should see? what should i ask or tell a doctor when i go? any help will be greatly appreciated. nervously waiting your reply of what it could be. again, thanks for your time...... any info on natural cures will also be appreciated, not sure if they would help, but at this point i will try almost anything. so terrified and discouraged with doctors. please help.
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you.

The small bumps with the central indentation are called "molluscum contagiosum". I have provided this name to you so that you can "google" it. They are VERY common and caused by a common virus. They are usually self-limited and go away on their own. They can be treated in some cases by touching them with something called silver nitrate (basically burns the skin).

The red bumps might also be the same thing, but from what you are describing, there might be slight concern regarding herpes virus. Herpes outbreaks, just like your cold sores, start as a fluid filled blister, that burst, crust over, and are painful ulcres with a red base. This does not fit with what you are saying but is worth considering.

And finally, the bumps around the base of the penis might very well be small genital warts. It is best to have someone look at them to be sure, and they too can be treated.

So really, you have probable STD's that are common and related to a human being who has been sexually active. Do not be embarassed - it is better to get them seen and treated and then move on.

In terms of who to see, it would be reasonable to go to Planned Parenthood. They would likely have the most experience with STD's. If not them, then go to your primary doctor, and if they hesitate with an answer, then ask for a referral. A Urologist should also be able to diagnose what you are describing.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have more questions. I wish you the best of luck!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have blood filled bumps at the base of penis and scrotum. Could it be genital warts or hpv? 59 minutes later
thanks for the timely response. I did locate some material on the internet regarding my conditions, while waiting for your reply. from the pictures ive seen, i believe you are correct with saying its molluscum contagiosum. the pictures i found wasnt that great. A few pics ive seen could be Trichomoniasis and/or syhpilis. im not sure. your thoughts on that. i know its hard to tell me exactly what it is with out examination. I feel no pain, no discomfort, no itching, no discharge except in those small bumps with the hard white substance

im trying to get the courage and the info i need to go see a doctor and think of all the questions i need to ask. Most doctors around here are in and out in 5 minutes at regular office visits. its very discouraging to go and not be prepared or knowing what to ask.

Is there a way to test for all std's? until tonight i never knew there was so many of them. over half i never even heard of, such as trichomoniasis.

Is there any cure for the possible warts?

is there any long term damaging effects i should be concerned with?

Is there any specific questions i should ask the doctor? PLEASE help me with how to open the conversation with a dr. about std's and how to test/diagnose/treat. i get nervous and go blank. i know it sounds silly but to me its very nerve racking. guess you could say im shy.

Thank your for your time, knowledge, and guidance.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 37 minutes later
1. Is there a way to test for all std's?

Here is what you should have done:
1. Swab from the penis - mainly checking for gonorrhea and chlamydia
2. Labs that would test for Hepatitis B, Syphilis, and HIV
3. The molluscum can be diagnosed by looking at it
4. The other bumps could be biopsied and a pathologist could tell what they are

2. Is there any cure for the possible warts?

The warts will often go away on their own. This is aided by not smoking. There is a cream called Aldara cream that you can use that also works. They, too, can be cauterized with a silver nitrate stick OR with something called TCA or trichloro-acetic acid.

3. is there any long term damaging effects i should be concerned with?

Not with any of the common things that this sounds like.

4. Is there any specific questions i should ask the doctor?

When you go into the doctor, state "I want you to look at some things on my bottom, and I also want full screening for STD's XXXXXXX I would keep it that simple. You do not need to tell the reception the reason for the visit when you schedule it. But ask if you can have at least a 15 minute time frame to discuss some "concerns".

Please let me know if you have more questions. Please take a moment to leave feedback when you get a chance.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor