question-icon

Have blood clot in mouth on the side and on lip. What does this mean?

Posted on Wed, 10 Oct 2012
Question: i have blood clot in my mouth on the side and 2 litle blood clots on my lip inside my mouth what does that mean?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir (15 minutes later)
Thanks for the question.

In cases of unexplained blood clot without any trauma one needs to investigate the coagulation status of the blood. Usually these kind of clots occur due to subcutaneous/sub-mucosal tiny hemorrhages.There can be various causes which can cause such hemorrhages.You will have to first rule out first accidental biting.If that's not the case then I think you should see a physician to get clinical examination done.The doctor may initially want to check your platelet count, bleeding and clotting time.

Please ask if you want me to explain anything.Regards.

Dr. Sudhir