Have blood clot in brain. Not able to move leg and hand. Any treatment?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: hi my daughter had a blood clot in the brain now she cannot move the left leg and hand is there any treatment as the doctors in dubai says that it will go only with the physiothyrapy
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

It is unfortunate that your little daughter has suffered paralysis.

However, your doctor is possibly correct. For blood clots in brain, there is a specific medicine that can work in the first few hours, but after that the treatment is by physiotherapy and exercises.

It is also important to find out the reason for her blood clots and treat that, so that we can prevent recurrence of blood clots in the future.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 minutes later
Thanks Dr.

i need to know what are the exercises to be done to make sure the hand and leg will back to normal.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

Exercises are very simple.

These may include stretching of hands and legs.

Making her raise the arm, trying to squeeze a rubber ball, etc would be good for hands.

For legs, it can be asking her to raise the leg, trying to make her stand and walk, would be advised.

You are also advised to consult a physiotherapist for detailed instructions regarding the exercises.

I hope it helps. I would be pleased to answer if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
thanks dr.

do you know a specialist in Dubai with good experience.

do you think my daughter can come back to normal.

Im really sad about my daughter

best regards
XXXXXXX
0000
Thank you for getting back.

In Dubai, you can consult my previous colleague from Apollo Hospital, Dr G Rajshekher, who is working at Zulekha Hospital.

If you wish to visit India, our team at Apollo Hyderabad would be pleased to help your daughter with the best treatment.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar Md DM (Neurology)
YYYY@YYYY