Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

Have blood clot below knee, pain radiates to thigh. Treatment for Deep Vein Thrombosis when advised blood thinners?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3622 Questions
hi doc,

What is the best way to treat Deep Vein Thrombosis? Specifically when a physician has advised to take a blood thinner.

The clot is below knee level however the pain radiates to the thigh.
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Blood thinners,Thrombolysis, Thrombectomy

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query.

Deep vein thrombosis are treated well by blood thinners alone in moderate cases. if the clot is dormant and does not respond to blood thinners then surgical techniques would help.

Thrombolysis is a minimum invasive procedure where in the blood thinner medication is directly injected near the clot guided by a Catheter. This will ensure complete removal of the clot. In this procedure fails too then a invasive surgery called Thrombectomy is employed. This involves removing the clot after an incision over the skin and into the blood vessel.

Do wear stockings and walk for a few minutes a day to naturally disintegrate the clot.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have blood clot below knee, pain radiates to thigh. Treatment for Deep Vein Thrombosis when advised blood thinners? 4 hours later
thanks a lot doc
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using this service.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor