Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Have bloating in upper abdominal area. Having pain and fullness. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 2457 Questions
I have bloating in my upper abdominal area I look nine months pregnant sometimes . I am not pregnant
it is hard form me to eat and food. I fill up quickly or feel full quickly. It is making it hard to breathe so I went to my pulmonary doctor and ruled out lung issues. my pain and fullness is above the rib cage to the back the area above the bra line.
I have had this for along time , recently my right side pain caused something to cease up and get so tight I couldn't move
I am 57 years old
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
To be examined and investigated for management.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX! Good evening. I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.

From your history, it seems that you have got chronic cholecystitis, with intermittent acute attacks which caused you feeling bloated, and difficulty breathing due to the pain it might be causing during any chest and upper abdominal movement. Your recent pain on the right side is an example of such an attack. Chronic cholecystitis usually occurs due to undetected gall stones till now.

I am not aware if an ultrasound was done in your case till date. If I would have been your treating doctor, I would advise you for an ultrasound abdomen with special mention to the hepato billiary system and pancreas, a liver function test, serum amylase, and serum lipase. Apart from this , I would also go for a routine cardio vascular check up for you, along with a blood sugar status and routine blood tests like a CBC, Kidney function test and serum lipid profile as a base line investigations. My further management will depend on the findings of my clinical examination along with reports of all the investigations advised.

Till then I would suggest you to go for a proton pump inhibitor, an anti spasmodic drug, and a probiotic along with a broad spectrum antibiotic. As many of these drugs are prescription drugs, I would also advise you to report to your family physician/ER of a hospital to get yourself examined and investigated thereafter. Further management will depend on the results. I consider this problem of yours to be an independent entity not related to your previous known disorders.

Also I would advise you to avoid oily, and fried diet, as any fat in the food will stimulate the contraction of gall bladder resulting in pain. You have to also avoid alcoholic beverages if you do.

I hope I have cleared your doubts and questions asked in your query.However, if there is any more questions , please feel free to ask.

Thank you for using health care magic for your health query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have bloating in upper abdominal area. Having pain and fullness. What to do? 49 minutes later
I don't have my gall bladder anymore
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Investiigations are essential.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX! Nice to hear from you so soon.

Well I thought of gall bladder as there was no mention of a cholecystectomy in your history. Well ! even then, I would go for an ultrasound to be sure that the CBD and pancreas are alright. Also I would also go for a plain X XXXXXXX Chest PA view to rule out any chance of a pleurisy on the right side even though your pulmonologist has excluded any pathology in the lungs.

With the new history of gall bladder being no more there, the celiac disease can not be excluded as a cause of your abdominal bloatng and getting full fast.

So, I feel that you should still go for all the investigations along with a clinical examination by the treating doctor. Thanks and take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor