Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Have blisters around vagina. Took antibiotic for yeast infection. Now with cracked, bleeding buttocks. Bladder infection?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 1671 Questions
My mother is 81 years old, was previously diagnosed with a bad yeast infection, to the point of blistering around her vaginal area, she was prescribed an antibiotic and some cream, now her buttocks area is cracked, bleeding and painful, she wears depends and is unable to fully empty her bladder, her buttocks area is painful and does bleed, I have done everything I could think of. Now she feels that she has a bladder infection. She has and infusion on Friday for her RA.
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

I am very sorry about your mother's condition. This sounds like a terrible infection. This is a difficult situation and it is likely that the breakdown of the skin is a combination of yeast and burning from urine. I had one patient many years ago that had a similar problem that we thought was yeast, but it turned out that the problem was related to the constant exposure to urine on the vulvar and buttock skin. In her case, as she was not a good candidate for surgery, was aggressive use of barrier creams (similar to those used in burn patients or with a baby's diaper rash). If she thinks that she has a bladder infection, this is also important to sort out, but I do realize that the treatment for a UTI will also predispose her to a yeast infection! Here are some thoughts:

1. Find out if she has a UTI and get it treated
2. During the day, consider nystatin powder (I believe that it can now be bought over the counter)
3. Change her Depends at least 3-4 times per day - the area MUST stay dry and the Nystatin powder will also help in this regard
4. At night, consider the barrier cream or ask her doctor about Silvadene cream
5. Consider having her see a Urologist. One thought here is whether she would be a candidate for a urinary catheter while the skin on her bottom heals (this I have done before)

In any case, this should provide you hopefully with some new ideas. Please talk with her doctor about a plan such as this as I have little knowledge about her past history. I wish you the best of luck!

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have additional questions. If we are done, REMEMBER TO PROVIDE FEEDBACK!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor