Have bladder problem. Experiencing pain in penis and tingling sensation. Brain tumor or neuropathy?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: I have tingling (no pain or numbness) on my head , around mouth, my left arm and right foot fingers. It started 2 days ago (12 december ) with just my head (next to the left ear) and then gradually around most of mouth, my right hand and left foot fingers. Now it seems that it does not progress anymore. It’s just there
Before this happened , a week before I have noticed that my last 3 fingers of my left foot were tingling and had a burning sensation. Same tingling was on my head but was very mild.

I should mention that this is my second “tingling event” First one was at the end of August 2012. Then on my second day of tingling I saw my family doctor. His suggestion was to wait and see if it gets worse and return within 2 weeks. I didn’t go back as everything was fine. 
Before the first event there was a little discomfort on my right foot when at rest before sleep where I usually bend my foot at 90 degrees under my left foot. This is true even now.

One last thing. Before the first event I used to workout with kettle bells. My doctor’s impression was that somehow these exercises induced my tingling.

I took a pause of 1 1/2 month from using kettle bells. Now I have started again (like 1 month ago) but with a smaller bell.

Other then tingling on my head, around my years and mouth , my left arm towards the fingers has somehow a week grip no pain . Swimming seems to ameliorate this discomfort.
One other thing that I've noticed is that when I wake up in the morning the tingling on my left foot toes are gone (it will came back later on the day) and the face tingling is almost unnoticeable.

Now I have read allot about MS and I am very scared. I am not sure if my symptoms will dictate such a diagnostic . I know how hard is to put such a diagnostic but still can you please tell me your opinion ? I don’t wanna do a MRI unless is absolutely necessary .

I am 35 years old , I have a bladder problem that I learn to keep it under control as no medication was suggested by my urology doctor, although I have to revise this issue as from time tot time my kidney/penis/scrotum hurts. I might have a non-bacterial prostatitis which some say can generate a tingling . This is just my suspicion base on what I have read over internet. My next doctor appointment is on 7 january 2012
I do not have blurry vision ( unless I don’t have my glasses on) I do not experience any lost of balance and I am not fatigue. Will you be so kind to comment on the MS possibility, brain tumor or neuropathy ? Looking over internet allot of people seems to have MS with less symptoms then mine. :(

I would very much appreciate your detailed comments on the issues described
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your anxiety, after having read so much on the Internet about various neurological disorders including like to reassure you that your symptoms are not suggestive of any serious neurological diseases.

The symptoms of tingling suggest involvement of sensory nerves (nerves that carry sensations from skin). This involvement most often occurs in peripheral nerves, however occasionally, it can occur due to involvement of sensory nerves in brain or spinal cord.

The commonest cause in your case could be peripheral neuropathy. This, in turn, can be due to vitamin B 12 deficiency or due to viral infections.

Other possibility could be lack of blood flow in certain parts of brain. This is more likely to happen, if there are risk factors such as diabetes, high BP, cholesterol, smoking, etc. If you do not have these risk factors, then the chance of lack of blood flow to brain is less. However, in young people, a rare disease called vasculitis may lead to decreased blood flow.

MS is a remote possibility in your case. However, the typical symptoms such as decreased vision, imbalance of gait, weakness of one half of body, weakness of both legs, etc are lacking.

As of now, you can get certain blood work done, such as vitamin B12 level, XXXXXXX profile, etc.

There is no urgency to do MRI. If your symptoms worsen, then it may be required at a later date.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 33 minutes later
Thank you for your quick reply. Here are my last questions to you:

1. Are you not worried about the fact that I had a second event in less than 5 mounts apart ? I am on my second week now with these tinglings .

2. I did have some weakness in my legs, this happened once or twice just before I went to sleep. In the morning everything was fine. Any worries ?

3. It seem somehow that when I try to go to sleep my tingling is more persistent as I change my sleep position. For instance If I sleep on my back and my hands are fully extended next to my body the tingling is almost non present after a while. However if I am on my right side the tingling most surely will be on my right hand. Can you please what you would understand from this ?

4. What should I ask from my doctor (testing wise) I have an appointment an the beginning of January ?

5. Is peripheral neuropathy curable ? Or is just an other dead end

Looking forward for your answers . Your input has been great so far
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 14 minutes later

Thank you for getting back with more queries. I must add here that your questions are very thoughtful, and I appreciate them. My replies are below:

1. I am not worried regarding your symptoms. However, I would like to determine the reason of your symptoms and treat them. In any case, it seems to me like a minor illness.

2. Transient weakness that you noticed are possibly not of clinical significance. A neurological weakness generally affects the function of the affected limb, and should last for a significant amount of time. So, here again, I am not worried.

3. In certain types of neuropathies (nerve diseases), symptoms of numbness and tingling tend to get aggravated with change of posture and compression/pressure of nerves.

4. In addition to what the doctor would order after examining you, you should get a nerve conduction studies of arms and legs done. This would help in evaluating peripheral neuropathy.

5. Most cases of peripheral neuropathy are treatable or curable, and would improve a lot with treatment.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 15 minutes later
Doctor XXXXXXX XXXXXXX thank you so much for amount of detail that you have put in your reply. Last question:
Is there any kind of medication (non-prescription) that would help me cope with this uncomfortable state until I see my doctor ? (1 month from now) Or do you recommend any kind of physical exercise or maybe some natural remedies ? Of course your reply is not equivalent with a diagnosis or a treatment option. I am only trying to understand my options.

Your input was very very good. You have presented not only a straight answer but you have made your argumentation easy to follow and logical. I will rated as such. Thank you !
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 22 minutes later
Thank you for getting back and your appreciation as well!

As of now, the only medication you can take is vitamin B12 supplementation, which we tend to use a lot in Asia, as many people are deficient (I know it is not a standard practice in North America), but it is harmless and you can take it.

In addition, sleep adequately (7-8 hours every night), as most nerve problems tend to worsen with less sleep.

Engage yourself in at least 30 minutes of physical exercises, at least five days a week; and eat healthy!

My best wishes are always with you,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine) DM (Neurology)