Owl Image

Have black patches with thickening of skin above ankle. Diagnosed with morphea. Required treatment?

Owl Image
Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Question
Dear sir, i have black patches with thickening of skin in my left leg just above the ankle. It was diagnosed as Morphea. What sort of treatment i need to undergo. I am from XXXXXXX Tamilnadu
Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Morphea is an inflammatory skin disorder where you get thickening and hardening of skin along with skin discolouration. The diagnosis is confirmed by clinical examination and skin biopsy.
There is no cure for morphea. Treatment is offered to control the signs and symptoms and slow the spread of the disease. The earlier treatment is started, the more effective it is. The treatment depends on the extent and severity of the condition.

Treatment options available are-
Topical
1) potent steroids like clobetasol
2) tacrolimus
3) calcipotriol
Oral
1) steroids
2) methotrexate
3)cyclosporine
4) mycophenolate moferil.
Light based therapies- ultraviolet light based phototherapy also yields good results
If the lesions are less only topical is required but if lesions are extensive or progressive both oral and topical therapy is advised.

Morphea lesions sometimes resolve in few years time but skin discolouration persists.
Hope that answers your query. Should there be more, I would be happy to assist you further.

Follow-up: Have black patches with thickening of skin above ankle. Diagnosed with morphea. Required treatment? 15 hours later
Dear Sir/Madam,
Can you suggest some specialists at chennai for treating morphea. I am from XXXXXXX Tamilnadu. If specialists are available at XXXXXXX then kindly inform that too.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Morphea can be treated by any qualified dermatologist so You may consult any dermatologist nearby. You can also use website portal of healthcare magic to look for dermatologist in your area by using the link WWW.WWWW.WW Whenever in doubt, you may always consult a XXXXXXX consultant in a reputed government medical college of your area.

Wish you a speedy recovery. Take care.