Owl Image

Have bilateral apical pleural thickening. What does this mean?

Pulmonologist
Question
Hello, can you please explain to me what the significance of biapical pleural thickening means, the significance of it and where it is seen on an x-ray? I have a significant history of multiple spontaneous pneumothoracies, RAD, pleurisy, asthma and upper lobe partial thoracotomies both left and right 20 years ago. I am a 42 yr old female. Thank you for any help you can provide.
Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 7 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going htrough the query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be having bilateral apical pleural thickening on chest xray.

2. you past history is significant for "multiple spontaneous pneumothoracies, RAD, pleurisy, asthma and upper lobe partial thoracotomies both left and right 20 years ago XXXXXXX

3. Apical pleural thickening is there as a result of previous respiratory pathologies like multiple pneumothoraces and upper lobe partial thoracotomies. Pleural thickening or fibrosis is nothing but a sign of wound healing by fibrosis and does not indicate any active lung disease. It will mostly remain for a long time as fibrosis is an irreversible process.

4. You need to manage your remaining lung conditions very well in consultation with a pulmonologist.If there is any decrease in lung capacity as a result of pleural thickening then incentive spirometry should help.

5. Inhaled medicines, and flu and pneumococcal vaccinations will help.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist