Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Have bicornuate uterus. Blood test showed I am miscarrying. Should I take primolut?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12760 Questions
I am having a miscarriage and my gp prescribed primolut before the miscarriage was confirmed. Should I continue to take the primolut?
I had a blood test to confirm the pregnancy/miscarriage and the level was 126. I spoke with my specialist gyno yesterday who advised it wasn't necessary to go to hospital as the level was too low.
For context; I have a bicornuate uterus and my gyno advised until I have surgery to remove some of the muscle wall, then miscarriage is 70% likely if I fall pregnant.
I have been bleeding for 10 days now, do I continue to take the primolut and will this stop the bleeding?
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Primolut helps in supplementing the placental function. Since your HCG levels are low, the pregnancy you have is not viable.
The continuous bleeding you are having due to miscarriage will stop once the fetus is expelled. Primolut will not help you. You can stop taking it after consulting your gynecologist.
You need to consult your gynecologist for an ultrasound scan to detect any retained products in the uterus. D&C may be needed to stop the bleeding in case there are retained products present.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have bicornuate uterus. Blood test showed I am miscarrying. Should I take primolut? 1 hour later
Thank you very much Doctor. You have answered my query.

Kind regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
You are welcome.
Please keep me informed regarding the progress.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.

Warm regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor