Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Have been suffering from severe loose motion. Diagnosed as IBS. Why is stool watery with mucus? Related to gastritis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions
Hi Doctor,
I have been suffering from severe loose motion for last 15 years. It is diagnosed as IBS- diarrhoea from last 2 years. And I am continuing with the medication for IBS, but no improvement yet. Everyday I have loose motion 8-10 times. Usually it happens in the morning very frequently.
The stool is watery with mucus. I have gastritis also.
Please guid me in this regard.Please suggest some medicine or specialist.
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
Your symptoms must be quite distressful.
If both colonoscopy and barium examination are normal, then you do not have to worry.
If stool examination is also normal then you should stop the antibiotics that you are taking. This will control the acidity issue as well. (ciprofloxacin and tinidazole)
I would suggest that you continue with medications slowing the gut motility for the time being which will give you symptomatic relief.
An attempt to control the frequency of stools can be done by two ways
1. Probiotics in adequate amounts on a daily basis. Econorm sachets (1-1) daily for at least 14 days could be helpful.
Buttermilk after every meal will also help significantly.
2. Yoga or any de-stressing mechanism will also contribute positively in fetching symptomatic relief.
If the aforementioned does not work within a fortnight, then you can consider a Medical Gastroenterology consultation.
I hope this serves as a guideline.
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have been suffering from severe loose motion. Diagnosed as IBS. Why is stool watery with mucus? Related to gastritis? 51 minutes later
Hi Doctor,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
I will follow up the medications you suggested.
Just i want to some suggestion on:
1. Actually Endoscopy & Barium X-ray was done near about 6-7yr back and everything was normal at that time. so do i need to go for these tests again?
2. As you mentioned colonoscopy, is it different from endoscopy?

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 57 minutes later

Thank you for the prompt feedback.

The symptoms which you are suffering from are of colonic origin. Therefore the primary investigation of choice to identify the cause would be colonoscopy. Barium studies at this moment of time are not at all indicated. It is good that they were normal previously. You need not repeat the tests.

Colonoscopy is different from upper GI endoscopy. Colonoscopy involves passage of an endoscope from the anal opening and visualising the entire colon right upto its junction with the small bowel. Diseases such as inflammatory bowel disease can be picked up immediately; whereas upper GI endoscopy involves endoscopic study of the oesophagus, stomach and the first 2 parts of the duodenum.

In your case colonoscopy is the investigation of choice and should be done in case if it has not been done previously.

I hope this clarifies your doubt. Let me know if you have any further queries.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor