Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Have been smoking & drinking for past few years. Want to quit. Tried nicoret. Could not help much

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1851 Questions
dear doc,

I have been smoking& drinking for past 8 yrs and have tired quitting smoking but i did not succeced for even 1 day. atleast 2 to 3 cig per day. before 3 months back i got married and i reduced my smoking. at first i used smoke 8 to 9 or even a packet of cig. but now i reduced to 4 to 5 per day. i have taken nobacco but its of no use i could not stop smoking. i have also had nicoret. but it also did'nt help. now its affecting my sexual life. i cannot perform well with my wife and there is no power in sexual life. i m trying to quit but i not able to do that. still now i dont have any major problem. i have almost quit drinking and drinks occasionally twice in a month. pls help me to quit smoking in someway. bcoz its affecting my marriage life and my stress level also increases day by day. my job is shift type so my diet is not regular. sometimes night working & sometimes till midnight working. now a days i feel very tired after going home from work. pls suggest some solution to get rid of this habit.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 27 hours later
Thanks for your query.
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Cigarette contain nicotine. Nicotine addiction is one of most severe addiction. Every addiction in medical terms considered as chronic illness, means there is always risk of relapse. So, do not get de motivated or feel guilt due relapse, and start again to quit as soon as possible after each relapse. But always remember in every quit attempt (smoke free period) body repair itself to some extent.

It is good that you want to quit smoking, as it affect every organ of body dangerously. It also one of the common cause of sexual problem in young population.

For de addiction following steps are followed:
-Consent of the patient: you himself seeking guidance from us
-Motivational interviewing: you are already motivated to quit smoking, but need to maintain this motivation
-Stoppage of smoking with prevention of discomfort or withdrawal: Nicotine replacement for short duration like nicrette
-relapse prevention: by anti craving treatment with medicines like Bupron
-maintenance treatment.

First you reduce number of cigarettes smoked per day. You reduce it 1 cig every alternate day. Same time medicine like Bupron are given to reduce craving for smoking. We have many patients who stopped smoking with its help. But for that you need prescription from psychiatrist.

After 14 days of start of Bupron, fixed a quit date to stop smoking completely. Throw your all remaining cig and associated material like lighters on that day, otherwise they will create craving for smoking. Inform your friends and family member for quit date as it will increase your motivation.

After stopping smoking you may experienced some nicotine withdrawal like anxiety, headache, poor concentration, restlessness and increase appetite. For that you can use nicotine replacement in form of Nicorette gum according to your requirement given on pack for 1-2 month. You can also use mouth fresheners like Elaichi during craving for smoking. After that you are free from smoking.

Always remember being smoke free, need high level of motivation. So maintain your motivation. I have simplified steps to quit smoking for you. It is better if you quit under some de addiction specialist (psychiatrist), as it is a specialized area and keep follow up to remain motivated. Avoid place, person and situations which create craving for smoking, as much as possible.

Many psychiatrist and psychologist provide relapse prevention sessions to prevent relapse, which is also helpful. Your sexual problem may be due to stress, anxiety and depression. Treatment with Bupron will also help in these conditions and will improve sexual life. So, take step forward and XXXXXXX nearby psychiatrist with above information.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have been smoking & drinking for past few years. Want to quit. Tried nicoret. Could not help much 13 hours later
dear sir,

Thanks for your consultation. i would like to XXXXXXX you in person. pls provide me details of where can i XXXXXXX you and consult in person.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 9 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

You can visit my profile on following link:

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor