Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Have bartholins cyst. Bulge in posterior vaginal wall. Feel little itching. Has spread to labia lip. Worried?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I have talked to a doctor on this subject before And should not have signed off. I hope you. An get the info from that but was told I probably have a bartholins cyst . I also sent a picture....she also said she sees a bulge in the posterior vaginal wall. It doesn't seem to hurt ,maybe itch alittle but not really . Today it seems like it is
Has spread along the labia lip a little more. No bleeding, discharge. Seems swollen to me. Just scared!
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 34 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bartholin cyst. Need Surgical Incision & Drainage.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

According to given information, I can assume that above swelling is mostly suggestive of bartholin cyst which is located on posterior half of labium majus and opens up the posterior end of labium minus. It is one sided at the opening of the vagina. It is caused by local inflammation or vaginal infection which leads to blocking of bartholin duct.

Here, I suggest you to consult with gynecologist for proper pelvic examination to make a concrete diagnosis.

TREATMENT: Small cyst usually does not require any course of treatment and it is better to leave alone. Genital hygiene maintenance is the key in such case.

However, large one needs small surgical incision & drainage of the collecting fluid which is called Marsupialisation. It is the procedure of choice and it can be done under local or general anesthesia. It is helpful to prevent abscess formation and future recurrence.

Supportive treatment like adequate rest, analgesics and daily sitz bath may be required to get relief from local discomfort. Oral antibiotic can be given. Kindly, visit to your doctor.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor