Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Have bakers cyst and ostechondroma on knee. Had ruptured cyst and fluid coming out causing swelling and pain

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10353 Questions
I have a bakers cyst on my left knee, Also oseoarthritis on left knee and ostechondroma on proximal tibia on left leg. the cyst ruptured in Feb 2013 and continues to build fluid and pain with a bulge constantly at the back of my knee and my calf is swollen and feels fluid is running into my calf. I have tried exercises and ice. I have developed a limp and am in pain doing normal things like walking to the bus, cooking or doing household chores, have allergies to nsaids and tylenol arthritis does not help. Is the constant swelling damaging my body? How do I get past the constant forming of the cysts rupture pain? Am waiting for a mri 6 months
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The Baker's cyst is inflammatory in nature and the inflammatory fluid that is oozing out is causing the swelling and the pain that you are having. An MRI scan will help in assessing the extent of damage your knee joint has due to the cysts. If it is a large amount of fluid then you can get some local steroid injections at the site after consulting your orthopedician. Surgical treatment also needs to be considered if the injections are not helpful.
Meanwhile do a hot fomentation regularly to help with your symptoms.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor