Have bad cough, feeling tired and fever. Had Bronchitis and Costochondritis. Recommendation?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I am a 36 year old, normally healthy and active, woman. During 2012, I have been living in XXXXXXX Italy and I have been sick off and on the entire year. Last winter, I was diagnosed with Bronchitis and Costochondritis and it took about four months to finally recover. Five days ago, I again woke up feeling sick. I have all the same symptoms of bronchitis including a bad cough, feeling tired and fever, but I also have a terrible cold which I did not have the last time. My nose is blocked and I am having trouble breathing. I also feel my ears are blocked because I am not hearing well and hear a ringing sound in my ears. Now, I am starting to wonder if maybe I have the flu instead or is it a combination of flu and bronchitis? How do I know which it is? In addition to lots of rest and fluids, what do you recommend I do? I am moving cross country next week and I need to get my energy back.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello
You seem to be suffering from infection by cold virus.
Your cough is caused by the viral infection and has resulted in viral bronchitis.
In addition to rest and taking plenty of hot liquids
Take steam inhalation twice a day
Take Tylenol for bodyache or fever
Take some antihistamines like BENADRYL in night
Put some nasal decongestants for blocked nose
No need for any antibiotic

You shall be all right in next 5 to 7 days.

I hope it helps however you ma revert to me for Any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks