Have bad breath and bleeding gums while brushing teeth. Required treatment?

Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar

Dentist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Question: Hi My teeth gum bleeds while brushing and I have a bad breath
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 41 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Bleeding gums while brushing teeth is early feature of Gingivitis i.e. infection of gums.

This occurs due to many factors-

1.micro-organisms
2.calculus
3.food impaction
4.faulty or irritating restorations or appliances
5.mouth breathing
6.tooth malposition
7.nutritional deficiencies

There may be alteration in colour of gingiva progressing to red or reddish blue and edema.
Bad breath is associated with poor oral hygiene maintenance.

I would suggest you to-
1.brush your teeth regularly in proper method.
2.remove any irritants if any which causes gingivitis.
3.remove plaque mechanically using chlorhexidine mouthwashes, listerine or triclosan.
4.use soft bristle toothbrush and dental floss.
5.brush your teeth in back-forth and up-down motion.
6.visit your dentist and get your teeth cleaned professionally to remove the subgingival plaque.
7.take antibiotics prescribed by your dentist.

Hope I have clarified your query.

If any doubt, please feel free to ask.

DR XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E