Have bad breath. Should I go for dental examination?

Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda

Dentist

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Question: I have bad breath and I want to do thorough dental examination. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 43 minutes later
I would be glad to answer your query.

First, I would like to inform you that bad breath is a very common dental complaint; it is linked to a number of factors, most common reason being inability to maintain proper oral hygiene.

It is not much of a concern, as this condition is completely reversible.
I will advise you to follow a few instructions and make them your routine oral hygiene regime:
1. Rinse your mouth with plain water after every meal
2. Use a dental floss (waxed) once a day to remove food debris from between the teeth
3. Use a soft bristle toothbrush and brush your teeth twice/day
4. Use a tongue cleaner (once/day) to remove and prevent bacterial growth on the tongue which otherwise is responsible for bad breath
4. You can use a mouthwash once a day, 30 minutes after brushing your teeth at night.
5. Chewing a sugar free mint or a gum during the day will help.

Kindly see your dentist every 3-6 months, for a regular dental check up.
Full mouth scaling or professional cleaning of teeth to remove tartar deposits is recommended every 6 months.
I hope you will see your concerned dentist soon.
If you have any further queries, kindly write back.
I wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E