Have back pain due to spinal injury. Have swollen knees, ankle and thighs. What is the cause?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have spinal injury l5 s1 disc prolaspe and l5 l4 mild bilateral stenosis althought inknow my back pain and leg psin and numbness are due to spinal injury but may I know why my ankle on left leg is swollen and my both knee were swollen , snd I feel numbness in my hand and finger , joint pain on my knee as well as my head is numb afteraying diwn a few min, could you please tell me why my ankle knee thighs were swollen and why do my joint pain on my knee and ankle and pain when I walk after few min ?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: These can occur due to lumbar canal stenosis Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Swollen and painful thigh, knee and ankle and pain on walking after few minutes can occur due to lumbar canal stenosis. Numbness in hand and finger could be due to nerve compression at cervical spine or due to Peripheral neuropathy caused by diabetes or alcoholism or lack of VIT B 12. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Wishing you speedy recovery.. Take care