Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Have back pain and found lump on lower back. What should I do to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 15014 Questions
I found a lump on my lower right back last night. I have been having back pain on my left side as well with numbness and crackling. This lump rolls but is stationary. Its about an 2 finger wides in size and is an oval shape. Any ideas?
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are a number of different causes for lumps in the skin. The most common causes are papillomas, keratoacanthoma, hystiocytomas, lipomas, sebaceous cysts, neurofibroma.
A papilloma is a over growth of the layer of the skin, it is also known as a skin tag.
A keratoacanthoma is a self limiting over growth of hair follicles, there are commonly found on the face but can occur anywhere.
A hystiocytoma is also benign, it is overgrowth of cells in the skin called fibroblasts.
Lipomas are clusters are fat cells that are felt like lumps.
Sebaceous cysts are formed when the sebaceous glands in the skin become blocked.
Neurofibroma are also benign tumors that are a mixture of different elements of the skin.

Out of the above the lipoma and neurofibroma are more likely but to diagnose a lump a doctor would normally take a history and examine for - the position of the lump, colour, temperature (increased may imply infection), tenderness, shape, size, the edges, consistency of the lump (hard, firm or soft), the presence of fluctuance, surrounding skin.

The treatment of most lumps is to remove them if they are causing significant discomfort.

The pain on the left side of the back may be due to issues related to the vertebra or the muscles in the back.
If it relates to the muscle it would usually be at the sides and worse on movement.
If it relates to the back it is usually central, can be worse on movement and associated with altered feeling in the lower limbs.In some cases if the vertebra are affected a person may also experience weakness, problems passing stool or urine (if problems with spine compressing any nerves)

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor