Have autoimmune hepatitis and getting pain in teeth. Are they related?

Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar

Dentist

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: I have autoimmune heppatitus, but I dont know if that has anything to do with my question....whenever I exert any energy my teeth become unbearably painful that will last for an hour or so..can you think of why that is?
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Without an opportunity to examine your teeth and gums it is a difficult task to understand the cause of pain. Based on the details provided, I can think of 2 possible reasons:
a) Since you have history of auto immune hepatitis, you are prone to develop dry mouth and dry mouth can increase incidence of tooth decay.
b) As you also suffer from GERD, enamel erosions and subsequent dentin hypersensitivity are common association.

One of the two conditions may be the cause of teeth pain. Visit a dentist nearby for careful examination. A treatment plan can be formulated based on dental examination.

In the interim, the following measures can be helpful.
1. Eat smaller meals.
2. Avoid acidic XXXXXXX foods like acidic fruit/juices, fatty foods, coffee, tea, onion, peppermint, chocolate especially shortly before bedtime.
3. Avoid caffeine, nicotine and alcohol.
4. If there is decayed teeth get it restored by your dentist.
5. Take complete course of antibiotics-analgesics prescribed by your dentist.
6. Use shy-nm toothpaste to brush your teeth.

Hope this suffices. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad