Owl Image

Have autistic spectrum, swollen glands on neck and loss of appetite. Any suggestion?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi

About twelve days ago my son wasnt well he was passing stools several times a day for a few days. On the first day he had a temperature on and off and swollen glands in his neck, he also lost his appetite. Seemed to get better but still had no appetite and just wasnt right. Three days ago still with no appetite he vomited but hasnt since but still no appetite and yellow stools. He is six and is on the autistic spectrum and cannot explain to me what he feels like.He has issues with food due to being on the autistic spectrum limited diet but usually eats enough but he just has no appetite at all
Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 40 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your query.

From the information you have provided, it appears that he is probably recovering from an infection. During the course of infection and during the recovery phase the appetite would be decreased.
It may take a week or two before he recovers completely. Since he is on the autistic spectrum and not able to communicate properly, the course of recovery is probably getting delayed.

Meanwhile you can try giving liquid diet like soups, fruit juices, cereal preparations. Try to avoid fatty food.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have autistic spectrum, swollen glands on neck and loss of appetite. Any suggestion? 7 hours later
Thanks for your reply i thought it would be that i waa worried because its been nearly two weeks now. How long should i leave it before seeking an appointment at my GP if he doesnt get any better.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 6 hours later
You can wait till this weekend before seeking an appointment with your GP.
Meanwhile give him the diet which I have mentioned in my previous post.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini