Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Have asthma. Noticed small movable lump under skin on elbow. How to overcome this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14831 Questions
Hi, I have a small moveable lump under the skin by my elbow....only noticed it in the past few days, however have had some pain putting pressure on my elbow over the past month...I am 32, 85Kg, failry fit and no serious medical issues other than asthma that I am aware of.
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Lumps can form in any layer of the skin; the epidermis, dermis or in the subcutaneous tissue. Within the epidermis and dermis, the most common lumps are benign papilloma (overgrowth of layers of skin), seborrhoeic keratosis , hemangiomata, keratoacanthoma.

Since the lump is not visible on the surface of the skin then it most likely in the subcutaneous tissues. The most common are lipoma (a lump made up of a collection of fat), bursa, sebaceous cyst, ganglion, neurofibroma. All of these are benign.

When diagnosing a lump a doctor looks at the following: its location, size, consistency (firm, hard or soft), shape, colour, any tenderness, , edge, presence of any pulsations, compressibility (if can compress may be a type of cyst or bursae), translucency.

If there is no associated discharge then , out of the possibilities in the subcutaneous tissues, subcutaneous cyst can be ruled out.
That would leave lipoma, ganglion, neurofibroma,bursae, cysts.
Lipomas cause no discoloration of the skin, usually not tender, can occur in the arm.
Ganglions can occur on any aspect of the body but are more common at the joints.
Bursae can also develop in any joint space
Neurofibroma are usually firm and small in size.

These lesions are treated only if they are uncomfortable to the peron involved.
To determine the exact mass would require examination by your doctor,if possible.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor