Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Have artificial hip and got injury. Having severe pain . What cure should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 212 Questions
Dear Doctor
My wife ( 75 ) has 2 artifical hips and had a fall recently, The xrays taken at A & E showed no damge to her artificial hips but XXXXXXX opacity on left side near hip replacement XXXXXXX

She is in severe pain.

What is the cure - bed rest or movemnent ?

Yors sincerley

email - YYYY@YYYY

Posted Sun, 23 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 4 hours later
Hello. I'm Dr. Christensen.
I'm sorry your wife is in pain. Unfortunately, without further evaluation it isn't possible to answer your question. The opacity near her left hip implant could be a remnant of her prior surgery, or it could be a fracture fragment. If her hip was fractured during her recent fall or if she displaced her implant, she needs the immediate attention of an orthopedic surgeon, and excessive movement could aggravate her condition.
I suggest you contact your wife's primary physician immediately. Her hip should be examined more thoroughly before she begins any therapy or rehabilitation (MRI or bone scan would be appropriate in this situation).
I hope that helps, and I hope your wife's situation is addressed soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor