Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Have arthritis in knees. Have pain in elbows. Worried about arthritis is elbows. Done x-ray of hands

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10363 Questions
Hi Doctor,

I am currently a arthritis patient. The problem is with knees. Off late I have been having pain in both elbows and worried if my elbows are impacted due to arthritis. I have taken X rays for both my hands. Request you to please review and share your views. Also, suggest some exercises that might help my situation.

I work on computer for extended hours. Let me know if there is need in change in my life style. My age is 52 years.
I have few more X Rays that I would like to upload.

Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 42 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
I have seen the X-rays of your elbow attached. It is suggestive of mild osteopenic changes which are age related.
It seems that you have osteoarthritis of the knees. The elbow pain is likely to be due to a tennis elbow which can be confirmed on a clinical examination or an MRI of the elbow joint.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy. You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your orthopedician after an examination.
It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily.
You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist.
A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees.
Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.
For tennis elbow, immobilization of arm for short period followed by neural stretching exercises will be helpful.
You can work on computer provided you follow the correct body posture while working.
Keep your back straight. If you work for long hours on the computer, the following link will tell you the posture to maintain while working:
WWW.WWWW.WW I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have arthritis in knees. Have pain in elbows. Worried about arthritis is elbows. Done x-ray of hands 19 hours later

I have been having knee problem for close to 10 years. I was actually aware of what you had suggested for the knee part. What I wanted to understand is about my hands.

Which hand is having mild osteopenic, what care should I take and what excercises would you suggest. I have 2 more X Rays, would be interested in seeing these.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
Both of your X-rays show a generalized mild osteopenic changes. Taking calcium supplements will be helpful.
Regarding the pain in the elbows, a physical examination and MRI are recommended to rule out tendonitis or tennis elbow.
You can get your serum Vitamin D 3 and magnesium levels evaluated to detect any deficiency.
Exercises alone are not likely to help you. Proper diagnosis is necessary before guiding you regarding the treatment.
You can upload more reports also if you wish to.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor