Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Have arthritis in knee. Have pain and swelling. What to do for high BP. How to get rid of guot?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5165 Questions
I have arthritis in my knees they swell up and are painful.

What can I do about high blood pressure and how can I get rid of gout?
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 28 minutes later

At age of 56 years both knee pain without history of trauma suggest age related degenerative osteoarthritis of knee. You may be having knee osteoarthritis , specially patello-femoral arthritis.
At your age process of degeneration starts and lead to cartilage damage.

You need x-ray both knee to see for arthritic changes and joint space.

For early arthritis, combined approach of medication, exercises, physiotherapy, life style modification, and supportive braces is used.

Take some analgesic, cartilage-protecting medicine, by consulting your doctor.

Life style modification
Avoid long time constant sitting take some breaks in between and do joint rotation ,climbing stairs is going to aggravate pain so try to avoid that.

Physiotherapy - SWD[ short wave diathermy] USG[ultrasonic therapy] TENS
For quadriceps, exercises contact your physiotherapist.

For gout
This is due to raised levels of uric acid in body
When patient of gout comes to my clinic, I check his uric acid level .Patients with raised level I Prescribe Tab febuxostat and Tab zyloric; you should take medicine consulting your treating physician.

Diet control is very important in gout.

Limit meat, poultry and fish.
Animal proteins are high in purine. Avoid or severely limit high-purine foods, such as organ meats, herring, anchovies and mackerel. Red meat (beef, pork and lamb), fatty fish and seafood (tuna, shrimp, lobster and scallops) are associated with increased risk of gout. Because all meat, poultry and fish contain purines, limit your intake to 4 to 6 ounces (113 to 170 grams) daily.

Cut back on fat.
Saturated fat lowers the body's ability to eliminate uric acid. Choosing plant-based protein, such as beans and legumes, and low-fat or fat-free dairy products will help you cut down the amount of saturated fat in your diet.

Limit or avoid alcohol.
Alcohol interferes with the elimination of uric acid from your body. Drinking beer, in particular, has been linked to gout attacks. If you're having an attack, avoid all alcohol. However, when you're not having an attack, drinking one or two 5-ounce (148-milliliter) servings a day of wine is not likely to increase your risk.

Limit or avoid foods sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup.
Fructose is the only carbohydrate known to increase uric acid. It is best to avoid beverages sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup, such as soft drinks or juice drinks. Juices that are 100 percent fruit juice do not seem to stimulate uric acid production as much.

Choose complex carbohydrates.
Eat more whole grains and fruits and vegetables and fewer refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, cakes and candy.
Choose low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Some studies have shown that low-fat dairy products can help reduce the risk of gout.

Drink plenty of fluids, particularly water.
Fluids can help remove uric acid from your body. Aim for 8 to 16 glasses a day. A glass is 8 ounces (237 milliliter). There's also some evidence that drinking four to six cups of coffee a day lowers gout risk in men.

For High Blood Pressure-
You need to take anti hypertensive medicine like amlodepine, ramipril, metaprolol consulting your treating physician.
You need some investigation like Lipid profile, renal function test.

Life style modification and diet is important to control BP.
My some suggestion for you-
1. Lose extra pounds and watch your waistline.
2. Exercise regularly.
3. Eat a healthy diet.
4. Reduce sodium in your diet.
5. Limit the amount of alcohol you drink.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor