Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Have arthritis in back and knees. Getting pain in feet and swelling on ankle. Reason?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 341 Questions
over the last week i have had severe pain in both feet when i wake up or even just get up from sitting and put my feet to the floor and it takes me a minute or so to walk and it goes to the back of my foot and around my ankle.
I have arthritis in my back and knees,could this now be in my feet??
My ankle gets very swollen too.
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sunil 5 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Arthritis is inflammation of joints usually caused by degeneration of bones in advanced ages, presents with joint pain and swelling. It can involve any joint in the body, ankles and feet can frequently be involved. In foot it usually affects joints of heel bone and joints of big toe.

As you have had arthritis in back and knees, it is quite obvious you have same problem with your ankle and feet which reduces ability to move, walk, or bear weight.

The most essential element of foot care for people with foot and ankle osteoarthritis is to wear shoes that fit properly and feel comfortable (Rubber soles to provide more cushioning). Exercise like Achilles stretch, Big-toe stretch and Toe pull can also help you.

You should visit your doctor for physical examination and you may need to be prescribed NSAIDs (pain killers)or steroid injections.

Hope it helps. If you have any further question I will be happy to help.

Dr Sunil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have arthritis in back and knees. Getting pain in feet and swelling on ankle. Reason? 3 days later
Confirmed with my own doctor and due to have xrays on both back and ankles.
Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 7 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

I appreciate that you visited your doctor. You should get x-rays advised by your doctor to see detailed picture. Meanwhile you can take NSAIDs/pain killers to reduce swelling and pain. As I mentioned earlier you should wear proper shoes and perform above-mentioned exercise to reduce suffering.
Hope it will help you. If you have any further question, feel free to ask.
Wish you good health.

Dr Sunil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor