Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Have arthritis. Swallowed small amount of bleach. Is this the cause for concern?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10364 Questions
I am a 64 year old woman, swallowed who just accidentaly swallowed about a quarter of a cup of bleach. My dogs lapped up some from the floor. I made myself barf right after I swallowed it and then a glass of water. Then I slept for about a half a day (ten hours) I am 5'4' , 148 pounds, and in pretty good health except for brutal arthritis. Thanks.
Also mention your age, height, weight and medical history. A detailed query is important to get you a relevant answer from the doctor. I
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
1. A small amount of Bleach is not XXXXXXX but it can irritate the delicate lining (mucosa) of the airway, lungs, food pipe and stomach.

2. The irritation or allergy due to bleach may lead to XXXXXXX swelling after a few hours, hence I recommend that you consult a doctor immediately, especially if you have cough or difficulty in breathing, in which case you may be admitted for observation.

3. Have a few tablespoons of Liquid Paraffin IP (medical grade) if available to dilute the traces of bleach and to soothe the XXXXXXX linings.

4. I will again stress that since you have vomited out some of the bleach and if the quantity was under 20 ml, there should be no major cause for worry.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor