Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Have ankylosing spondylitis, back and neck pain, stiff neck. Prescribed Saaz, Indocap. Want pain relief

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1985
Answered : 45 Questions
Hi, I am 41 years old man suffering from Ankylosing Spondylitis for last 3 years. Now i have severe pain in my back and neck. Also my neck is very stiff now. After consulting local doctor i take Indocap SR 75 intermittantly. Also the local orthopaedican recommended to take Saaz DS along with Indocap. Please suggest some method to relief from the pain, i am experiencing. Also is it correct to take the medicines prescribed by the local ortho doctor. Kindly advise, so that i can get some relief from the pain. I do regular exercise. The pain in the back increases sometimes to a very high level and again comes back to normal after few days. What course of action you suggest to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jadhav 9 hours later

You will need some painkillers for the spinal pain. If you cannot get relief with indocap, you can try other painkillers like ultracet, combiflam, etova or naprosyn. Unfortunately, many times, it gives only partial relief. You just have to wait till the activity of the disease to settle down.

Saaz will not help you for spinal pain. It is more helpful if you have pain in joints of the limbs.

One of the most effective treatment in recent times for all pains in ankylosing spondylitis is called BIOLOGICALS. They are the most effective medications for this condition and need to be taken under the supervision of a rheumatologist. Unfortunately, these are very expensive costing lakhs of rupees for a course.

There is no permanent cure for this condition, not even biologicals. There will be ups and downs. Medications will increase during flares and reduce in remisions.

Exercise will help in keeping the joints mobile. Just walking and yoga should be good enough

Dr Jadhav
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have ankylosing spondylitis, back and neck pain, stiff neck. Prescribed Saaz, Indocap. Want pain relief 1 hour later
Thanks for your answer. Where in India is this 'Biological' treatment can be undertaken? Also what is the frequency of the intake of this medicine? What is the cost of each treatment? If i take this option, then for how many times i have to take these Biological medicines to get complete relief? Also what are the side effects of this Biological medicine.
Also i have heard that Anti-TNF-Alpha therapy is also good for AS. Where in India is this medicine administered. Is it same as Biological or different. If different then what is its cost and what are its side effects? Kindly let me know. What other treatment methods can i take to get relief from AS
Also what is your opinion about alternative medicines like Homeopathic and Ayurvedic treatmnet?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jadhav 20 hours later
Yes, Anti TNF drugs are same as Biologicals. Of the many biologicals available, infliximab (remicade - market name) is the most effective. The induction dose is taken at 0, 2 and 6 weeks. The dose (and hence, the cost) depends on the weight. Each dose will cost around Rs. 1.2 lakhs (triple the cost for 3 doses). Ideally just 1 dose needs to be repeated every 4 months. But since cost is the issue, it can be repeated when symptoms recur. It could be anywhere between 4 months to 2 years.

It is available in all big cities of India, marketed by XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX Check with your rheumatologist. Common side effects are infections and allergic reactions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor