Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Have an apparent uneven testicular size. Had testicular pain. Testicular cancer?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9627 Questions
I have an apparent uneven testicular size. I do not detect any actual size difference in my testicles but the left sack has immensely more tissue/vasculature of some type. It also hangs lower. Neither are new developments but each may have become somewhat more pronounced over time. I am 33. It is somewhat uncomfortable in general. I can always feel the bulk and a bit of pressure. The tissue/vasulature, or whatever it is, is to such an extent that it prevents me from doing a self examination on the left testicle. If there were a lump I am not all confident that I could detect it through everything. I have previously accepted that on my physicals the doctor was able to tell but now feel there isn't really any way they could tell better than I can. Additionally, I had a brief period of testicular pain than extended to my abdomen or the other way around. It was brief, about 5 or 6 times for a month, and hasn't occurred in at least several months.

My questions are:

Are there other tests such as blood that I can or should do to screen for testicular cancer?
Is the pain still a concern even though it has disapated? Is it related to the extra bulk around my left testicle? Is likely varicocele or hydrocele?
Can/should it be fixed surgically?
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 21 minutes later
In my opinion, it looks to be a Varicocele.

It is definitely not due to cancer of the Testis nor due to Hydrocele. In both the conditions testis is enlarged in size and is firm to hard on palpation.

Varicocele is dilatation of tributaries of testicular vein developed due to incompetency of non-returning valves placed in the veins and is more common on left side. It is a vein problem in simple terms.
It can be confirmed by clinical examination by a qualified a General Surgeon or Urologist and following investigation.
1) Ultrasound scanning of the scrotum this will rule out Hydrocele or testicular cancer as well.
2) Colour Doppler study of Scrotum will confirm grade of Varicocele.

Pain in testis and abdomen is due to varicocele and is caused by dragging of the veins.

It is not mandatory that all the cases of varicocele need to be treated by surgery.

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical evaluation and further treatment.
Please feel free to ask me further queries; I shall be happy to help you.
Dr. Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor