Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Have an abscess on right side of my groin area. Glands are swollen. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 662 Questions
I have a abscess on my right side of my groin area. It seems as if my glands are swollen.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for the query.

Well, I would like to tell you that abscesses are caused by obstruction of oil (sebaceous) glands or sweat glands, also inflammation around a hair follicle can also lead to the formation of an abscess, which is called a boil (furuncle).

Unlike other infections, antibiotics alone will not usually cure an abscess. If the abscess is small (less than 1 cm or less than a half-inch across),applying warm compresses to your groin area for about 30 minutes 4 times daily can help.
Do not attempt to drain the abscess by pressing on it. This can push the infected material into the deeper tissues which will ultimately trouble you.

Do not stick a needle or other sharp instrument into the abscess center because you may injure an underlying blood vessel or cause the infection to spread.

In general an abscess must be opened and drain in order for it to improve.

Sometimes draining occurs on its own.
But if the size is big enough and it is causing pain and discomfort to you,it must be opened by a doctor in a procedure called incision and drainage.

You can take some good analgesic for pain relief if required.
Hope for your speedy recovery.
I am here for future follow ups

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor