Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Have an abscess near groin area. Should I go to ER?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2582 Questions
Should I go to urgent care or emergency room to have an abscess near groin area lancef?lanced
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Prasad 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Emergency room is preferable...

Detailed Answer:

If you are covered under insurance emergency room is preferable. The abscess need to be incised and drained under aseptic precaution. A small sample of the abscess needs to be sent for culture and sensitivity studies. Therefore I would prefer you to go to the emergency room if you are covered by insurance.

You can choose urgent care clinic or a low cost clinic if you do not have insurance.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor