Have all thyroid glands removed. Taking thyroxine. Feeling tired. How to overcome this problem?

Dr. Om Lakhani

Endocrinologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi My name is XXXXXXX I am 58 yrs old have had all my thyriod glands removed end of 2010 in two seperate operations three weeks apart. I am on 100 Thyroxine a day they say my levels are all ok but I am very tired really struggle to get through the day I am unable to go to work just to tired been to so many drs looking for help.
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 6 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

When was the last time you have your thyroid functions checked ? If it has been a while then I would advice you to get done a thyroid function test, T3, T4 and TSH. Thyroid does contributes to being tired and feeling weak.

There are a few questions I would like to know about your previous surgery. What was the indication for the thyroid removal ?

I had a look at your MRI report and you Radiologists thinks that there some dural leak . This could possible contribute to your headaches. I hope you had discussion with your doctor after your MRI report.

All in all XXXXXXX just let me know the most recent / new thyroid reports and we may be able to plan the further management better.

Dr. Om Lakhani, MD